Why is Chocolate bad for dogs?

Why is Chocolate bad for dogs?

posted in: Advice and Care, Blog, Dogs | 0

We all know chocolate isn’t good for dogs, but did you ever think to question why? What is it about the delicious treat we choose to chow down at Easter time that is so dangerous to our four-legged pals?

The dangers of chocolate and the harm it can cause your pup depends on the type of chocolate they eat, the amount they consum and your dog’s size. In large amounts, chocolate and cocoa products can severely harm or kill your dog.

So what makes chocolate so bad?

The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine which is found in the cacao plant. We can easily eat and process theobromine, but dogs process it at a much slower rate. That allows the toxic component to build up to dangerous levels in their system.

We all know how sneaky dogs can be when it comes to gobbling up a delicious forbidden treat so it’s important to watch dogs more closely around Easter time when walking or hosting a party to ensure they’re not snacking on any cocoa without you knowing.

In most cases a small amount of chocolate will probably only give your dog an upset stomach but it’s still important to see a vet immediately after your dog has consumed chocolate or cocoa products to save them from any long lasting or serious effects.

In large quantities, chocolate can cause theobromine poisoning which can produce muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding or a heart attack.

No one wants to be in pain this Easter so look after your pup and enjoy the chocolate for yourself!

Leave a Reply